Lynne M. Jurek – Managing Director“Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.” -Booker T. Washington
Lynne M. Jurek (f/k/a Lynne Jurek Shannon) is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated and the firm’s Managing Director. She focuses her practice on Civil Litigation and is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She has also been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in 2012 -2016 and 2018-2020. She recently completed the St. Louis University program and received her certification in Corporate Ethics and Compliance Management (CECM).
Lynne has extensive experience representing insurance companies and their insureds, as well as other self-insured corporate and individual clients in cases involving First and Third Party Property Claims, Oil and Gas Litigation, Public Sector, Admiralty and Maritime Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, General Commercial Litigation, Transportation/Trucking, Construction, Probate Litigation, Family Law, Health and Corporate Law. Lynne is an avid litigator who is adept at handling cases in state and federal courts, from inception of the case through trial and appeal.
An accomplished writer, Lynne co-authored “Proposed Wyoming Title Standards, Part I of III” for the Wyoming Law Review (2013) and “The Business of Gas Pipeline Condemnation: A Multistate Analysis” for the Houston Business and Tax Law Journal (2013). She has also spoken locally and nationally on the issues of cost containment and construction claims, handling admiralty and personal injury lawsuits, as well as on good faith claims handling practices and litigation procedures for claims adjusters.
Lynne is currently or has been a member of the Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists, the Bar Association of the Fifth Federal District, the Minnesota State Bar and the Houston Bar Association. Lynne is or also has been a member of the Risk Management Society (RIMS), the Inns of Court, the Greater Houston Partnership, and the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC Greater Houston). She is an Sustaining Member of Victory, a branch of the American Cancer Society, and is a Founder of Protectors’ Memorial Foundation. She has enjoyed playing recreational soccer with the Houston Women’s Soccer Association and the TORSO Soccer League in Houston.
Lynne received her Bachelor of Arts Degree from Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota in 1987. She also studied at Exeter University in England in 1986. She obtained her Juris Doctorate from William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1991. Lynne is licensed to practice law in Minnesota, Texas and has been admitted pro hac vice in Louisiana. She is admitted to practice before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas.
NOTABLE LITIGATION AND APPEALS – Lynne M. Jurek
- Supermedia LLC v. Law Offices of Asherson, Klein & Darbinian, 2012 WL 460288, Tex. App. – Dallas, February 15, 2012). Special appearance affirmed in breach of contract claims.
- Willis v. Fugro Chance, Inc. 278 Fed.Appx. 443, 2008 WL 2131030 (5th Cir. May 21, 2008) – represented Fugro Chance, Inc. (Summary Judgment affirmed by Fifth Circuit); Willis v. Noble Drilling, May 2010, favorable defense verdict in LHWCA 905(b) claim– represented Noble.
- Morgan v. Essex Insurance Company – March 2010. Complete defense verdict on behalf of insurance carrier in $11.8 million bad faith case in Waco, Texas involving a sunken paddleboat.
- Rowan Companies Inc., et al v. Acadian Ambulance Service, Inc., et al,-Rowan sought $9 million indemnity in addition to attorneys’ fees and interest. Summary Judgment granted in favor of client, Acadian in United States District Court Southern District of Texas – Houston Div.
- Kinder Morgan Inc. v. Southwest Pipe Services Inc., a/k/a Southwest Pipe Co.; No.200730117 (280th Judicial District, Harris County). Successful breach of contract trial followed by appeal
- Warnke v. Nabors Drilling USA, L.P., 2011 WL 1312340, Tex. App – Hous. (1 Dist.), Apr. 07, 2011; Opinion Withdrawn and Superseded on Denial of Rehearing by Warnke v. Nabors Drilling USA, L.P., 358 S.W.3d 338, Tex.App.-Hous. (1 Dist.), Aug. 25, 2011. Appeal from granting of motion for summary judgment.
Mary Ellen Jurek – Office Administrator
“There is no giant step that does it. It’s a lot of little steps.” – Peter A. Cohen
Mary Ellen comes to us recently after retiring from the Mayo Clinic Health Service in Red Wing, MN, where she had been working closely with the physicians and overseeing the transcription department for the past 13 years in the capacity of supervisor/lead.
Mary Ellen received her Bachelor of Arts Degree from Colorado Institute of Art in Denver, CO, in 1999. She owns her own business named “MEJ Designs” specializing in the areas of digital imaging, graphic design, hand lettering, graphite pencil portraits, and quilting. ME Loves being creative as well as being technically innovative, which keeps her active and knowledgeable in all areas of the business world.
Previously, Mary Ellen had worked for State Farm Insurance for many years starting in Bloomington, Illinois, moving next to Rochester, Minnesota and ending her State Farm career in Houston, Texas. She has worked in various areas throughout State Farm such as legal, claims and research. She was hired three times throughout her career and found State Farm to be a great place to work and great people to work with.
Mary Ellen has also worked as legal secretary to the Former Lieutenant Governor and Minnesota Supreme Court Justice A.M. Sandy Keith, who while serving as the Chief Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court actually swore Lynne into Minnesota State Bar.